July 27, 2011

Opening Up a Dialogue with the City Council

I emailed the Mayor and each of the City Council members this morning. In the email, I asked for their comments, questions, and concerns regarding the proposed change to allow hens in Brooklyn Center. I inquired why they supported or opposed permitting hens here. I requested either a written response or a scheduled meeting so I could learn more about their views on this important issue.

I hope that I receive responses from each of the 5 members (including the Mayor). If I don't hear from them by Friday afternoon, I'll try calling to see if I can set up individual appointments to meet one-on-one.

My intent is to open a dialogue with the City Council to find out why some (or all?) of them oppose changing the current ordinance. We want to see what can be done to overcome whatever barriers are blocking progress. Maybe they need to see a specific number of residents who support this issue? Perhaps they require assurance that hens won't cause illness to the public? We aren't sure what the reasons are for not moving forward at this time, but are willing to do whatever it takes to ease their minds. It would also be nice to know who on the Council supports hens and who does not.

Hens really are great, and I miss my four joyful feathered ladies so much! I don't think I would have become so passionate about this issue had I never been a hen owner. Now that I know what I'm missing out on, I have the drive and determination to set things right.
These hens are chasing each other to get a caterpillar we'd found munching on
the broccoli plants. It's true, hens really are a great method of pest control for gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment